Joseph Dal Molin wrote:
> Open source efforts/software like OpenMRS, WorldVistA (VistA Office
> etc.), OSCAR etc. that are focused on diffusion/uptake and continuous
> improvement. All need to have practical tools methods etc. to work
> effectively in the heterogeneous health IT ecosystem. Building on Tim's
>
>  >> I believe that with a modest upfront investment one can go a long way
>  >> toward interoperability.  The
>  >> open source community should be leading in this area, because of the
>  >> increased cooperation.
>
> What would that modest investment be? Who would be willing to
> collaborate to make it happen? How does a practical approach dance
> effectively with and benefit from the vision/work of the
> "interoperability" expert community?  How can we leverage the OSHCA
> meeting in May to help the open source health community take the
> leadership role?
>

> Joseph

The above quote was from me, not Tim.  I don't know if he has the same
view or not.  The "modest
investment" is in the design of a system up front.  It always saves time
to go through a design process
rather than just start coding.  The design process involves
understanding and documenting the underlying
abstractions of the process.  This can lead to well-designed interfaces
which properly divide up the labor involved
more efficient development.  It is at this point that one reviews the
literature to see how well the interfaces
match to existing standards or systems.   The collaboration could be in
the sharing of the design processes
involved in the software development.   Get someone from the HSSP
community to discuss the interoperability
vision and its impact.   I don't know how this can take advantage of the
upcoming OSHCA meeting, since it is far beyond
my means or time to attend the meeting that far away.

Dave