Hemant:

I have a couple of dumb questions for you:

a.) Have you considered using Eclipse as the framework for Proteus? Many
of the features / functions I see in the Flash demo are already provided
by Eclipse. And you could get out of the business of writing your own
IDE and focus instead on your area of expertise.

b.) Do your tools allow users to import guidelines such as those
available at http://www.guidelines.gov/

I'd also second earlier suggestions to use the GPL v3. Regards.

On Mon, 2007-12-17 at 17:42 -0500, Hemant Shah wrote:
> Proteus (http://www.proteme.org) is an approach that allows authoring
> executable clinical processes and guidelines with decision support
> integrated within them.
>
> I am on the verge of making Proteus related tools available under an
> open
> source license. I need the advice of this community of open source
> champions
> on how to go about it and the choice of open source license. I know
> this has
> been discussed time and again on this list but I am still unclear
> about
> several things. Therefore please indulge my naiveté.
>
> I think LGPL provides most of what I need however I am still not clear
> about
> the use of derivative products. Specific example: what is there to
> prevent
> me from taking a class e.g, Person of an open source project and
> extend it
> by a class called SpecialPerson, and instead of adding the
> functionality
> that logically belongs in the Person class, enhance the SpecialPerson
> which
> I then keep closed source? By doing this one can easily violate the
> spirit
> and the intent of the license.
>
> My employer, Henry Ford Health System (HFHS) is supporting me in
> getting the
> Proteus tools open sourced. We have plans to use the open source
> version for
> research and to assist clinicians in patient care. Therefore
> significant
> development will take place after it has been open sourced. I have
> access to
> the HFHS legal department if needed. However, I need to know what help
> should I seek from them. Does it make sense to craft your own open
> source
> license instead of utilizing one of the standard ones?
>
> Any advice will be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Hemant
>
> --
> Hemant Shah, M.D., M.Surg.
> Sr. Research Informatician
> Henry Ford Health System
> One Ford Place, 3C
> Detroit, MI 48202
>
> http://www.proteme.org

José C. Lacal, Founder & Chief Vision Officer
Open Personalized Health Informatics _OpenPHI
15625 NW  15th Avenue; Suite 15
Miami, FL 33169-5601  USA     www.OpenPHI.com
+1 (954) 553-1984      [EMAIL PROTECTED]