Balu,
Good Sleuthing!

Yes, Jess will NOT be distributed with the open source version. We have
replaced Jess based inference tool with BeanShell based inference tool. This
will come with a rule editing tool (Greed) which converts the specified
rules into Java code. Since Proteus Inference tools are anything that
implement the inference tool interface this is possible without much
difficulty.

You must take a look at Greed, following the paradigm of the main authoring
tool, it allows creating of rules by simple dragging and dropping. It does
not allow creating every possible kind of rule but you can still create some
very complex rules. I intended this to be a tool that can be used by other
applications too and in due course will separate it completely from other
tools to make it more widely useful.

Regards,

Hemant

Hemant Shah, M.D., M.Surg.