I believe a possible answer is to fly above the "certification" process, which
is a shallow excuse for a meaningful evaluation process (e.g., see my eight
part series on the mission hostile user experience presented by many
"certified" systems), and move to robust tests of effectiveness and user
experience.

Regarding the latter, comparison of FOSS products to CCHIT "certified" products
would be most interesting.

Develop a truly meaningful and open "Certification Process" of your own, keep
it as free of Conflict of Interest as does, say, the ECRI Institute that
evaluates medical devices, and push its superiority - especially to governments
in other countries - over the bureaucratically-defined U.S. CCHIT
"certfication."

-- SS

--------------------------------
Scot M. Silverstein, MD
Consultant in Medical Informatics
Teaching faculty in Healthcare Informatics and IT (Sept. 2007-)
Director, Institute for Healthcare Informatics (2005-7)
College of Information Science and Technology
Drexel University
3141 Chestnut St.
Philadelphia, PA 19104-2875

Email:  scot.silverst...@ischool.drexel.edu