I thought it was ironic though that the preceding hour CCHIT
demonstrated how they have leveraged open source community created
components to build their testing software.  They saved a huge amount
of money using 'our' (Mirth etc) software but then are turning around
and charging 'us' for the product of that work.

Mark had said that it would not be fair for the commercial companies
to pay for the open source companies but I think it is the business
model that is unfortunate not necessarily their intentions.
SureScripts-RxHub, clearing houses and other software companies
provide free certification and it sounded like the previous CCHIT
certifications have been done very cheaply - webex sessions just
'showing' the software 'works' and emailing data back and forth.

If a discounted certification that does not require special
sponsorship is not forthcoming then I would agree that alternative
measures - whether self-certification or development and promotion of
an Open Source certification that is free may be the way to go.

I would not underestimate the number of physicians we could gather to
participate in such an effort.

Greg

--
Gregory Caulton