I believe it is possible, though not through public API, to determine if
you are using the software pipeline or not.  If that isn't enough, how
about just adapt at runtime by starting out with the more demanding
animations and falling back automatically if the framerate doesn't meet
your minimum requirement.  Then at least you will be drawing to the screen
meaningful info and the user may never notice.  You could even hide the
measurement in an animated splashscreen or something like that.

Scott

On Thu, Jul 31, 2014 at 7:25 PM, Kevin Rushforth <kevin.rushfo...@oracle.com