Mike Hearn wrote:

    Scott is correct about the determining of the SW pipeline. To add
    to that, if knowing whether you are running on SW is sufficient

Unfortunately for the Intel HD4000 card that some older laptops have, it technically supports 3D but struggles to do basic shader effects at 60fps when running at high pixel densities. I think I posted about this problem before. Simpler animations work better (just) but I'd prefer to only fall back to that when necessary.
    I think the suggestion about starting out assuming that animation
    will be OK and then backing off is a good one, if it is practical
    for your application.

Given that I'll be bundling a JVM with the app anyway I think it'd be easier and give a better UX to just patch JavaFX to expose this data using an API specific to my app. It obviously has it because when running with Prism debug logging the info is printed.

Yes, that would work, if you are willing to patch your JavaFX, and shouldn't be too hard.