I think it isn't worth doing anything for the packager. In any case, since "HelloService" is a test program, I see no problem with it continuing to use java.util.logging.

Regarding your other comment:

Thanks Murali, Iv'e also commented out isDebug() (though maybe it can be completely removed, only that the commented out code relies on it).

There was one other place where isDebug() was called, that being the mLog method. Did you replace the call ti isDebug() with a direct call to isLoggable instead? Note that without the isLoggable check you will incur the redundant cost of the method calls + string construction.

-- Kevin