Re-familiarizing myself with what javapackager offers, it seems the
following JavaFX related
features are present:

1.) The conversion of CSS to binary CSS
2.) The ability to specify a preloader
3.) the ability to specify the JavaFX Application class

The first one seems like a bit of feature-creep and could be replaced by
some other build
tool if third party developers really need that feature. They could
probably even use something
like maven-exec-plugin to manually call such a converter. Let's set this
one aside, then.

The second and third one are important for correctly launching a JavaFX
application. I would
think that in order for these to be easily accomplished flags would need to
be present in
"jpackager" for specifying them (namely, the preloader and Application
class). Otherwise
jpackager would need to do some "reflection" to try and determine whether
or not JavaFX is
being used (maybe by checking for its presence on the module path?) and
then, if so, get
the appropriate preloader and application class.

I only mention this because the JEP proposal specifically states
"JavaFX-specific features"
under "Non-Goals" but this might make things more complicated than they
need to be
in those two areas I mentioned above.

Other then that, this looks good to me and I think having a replacement for
javapackager
is a good idea.

Thanks,
Michael Ennen