On Tue, 16 Feb 2021 at 23:33, Michael Strauß <michaelstr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The main problem with this idea is that there is no universally available
> hardware rendering backend in JavaFX. There's OpenGL on Linux and macOS,
> Direct3D on Windows, and potentially a software renderer on all platforms.

How is that a problem?  Not all platforms support PosixFilePermissions
either.  I used that io -> nio2 comparison because of that similar
choice of lowest denominator abstraction as opposed to an API for
querying capabilities and exposing them if available.  Most, if not
all, of the use cases here are about interaction with libraries using
native components that are either not universally available or provide
platform-specific alternatives too?

Incidentally, does the OpenGL renderer not work on Windows at all, or
just not get used by default?  Can't remember.

> It is generally not safe to expose the OpenGL rendering context
> that is used internally by JavaFX, because users might inadvertently change
> the GL state machine.

Why is that actually a problem?  Surely caveat emptor has to apply
here?  And potentially access can be managed within scopes that
require permissions, push/pop state, etc if required?

Best wishes,

Neil

--
Neil C Smith
Codelerity Ltd.

Codelerity Ltd. is a company registered in England and Wales
Registered company number : 12063669
Registered office address : Office 4 219 Kensington High Street,
Kensington, London, England, W8 6BD