Hi,

A few comments from my perspective here, mainly coming from
frustration at the number of times I've had to tell clients or users
that JavaFX isn't a viable option for them ..

On Sat, 6 Mar 2021 at 12:22, Mark Raynsford <org.open...@io7m.com> wrote:
> there is a
>      combinatorial explosion of possibilities with regards to which
>      rendering API the _user_ might be using, and which rendering API
>      JavaFX might be using (if any!).

I agree that's a difficult one, but also surely not an insurmountable
one?!  There are precedents around Java APIs that provide querying and
access to optional support on a platform by platform basis.  A library
integrating JavaFX with some other platform / renderer specific API is
always going to have to handle the situation by either failing
gracefully or falling back to a less performant alternative.

> Traditional stateful APIs like
>      OpenGL make it far too easy for external code to screw up the
>      rendering context anyway, so exposing JavaFX's own context would
>      be a bad idea.

I remain of the view that this shouldn't really be that concerning?!
It's a bug in the library if it does so.  The current PixelBuffer API
already allows enough access for a library to *really* screw up the
rendering context, by bringing the whole thing crashing down.  But,
concurrency issues aside, adding that access has been a real boon.
With access comes responsibility.

> JavaFX _does_ have a software renderer. What if we could have JavaFX
> work with entirely software rendering into an offscreen BufferedImage?

Why BufferedImage?  What about a reuse / extension / parallel of
PixelBuffer?  That could allow a range of implementation and the
potential for using renderers that can output without a visible window
to do this while at least keeping all pixel data off heap?

Best wishes,

Neil

--
Neil C Smith
Codelerity Ltd.

Codelerity Ltd. is a company registered in England and Wales
Registered company number : 12063669
Registered office address : Office 4 219 Kensington High Street,
Kensington, London, England, W8 6BD