> On Nov 15, 2023, at 9:32 AM, Nir Lisker <nlis...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> removal of AWT
>
> Isn't that *a lot* of work? All the image IO is AWT, no?

It was a mistake to tie ImageIO to GUI framework image classes. The image
raster should be returned in a generic wrapper around a byte array or
ByteBuffer from the various codecs.
The UI layer should bridge it from there. A WriteableRaster or BufferImage just
needs to wrap those bytes with the dimensions and pixel format details.
But I bet it isn’t that far off and wouldn’t be that much work. It’s a question
of priorities though.

I still think the AWT ties need to be cut.

I want native tray support, dock icon overlays/badges & progress feedback.
Webcam support would be nice too, for video chat apps, security camera UIs,
image recognition, barcode scanning, etc.

Scott