I've read the responses to this post, and I think they all make sense, so
this is great feedback. It's good to know what people are
missing/interested in.

However, it makes me a bit nervous to see a growing wishlist while I don't
see more funding. Unfortunately, the reality is that most companies want to
pay (lots of money) for JavaFX consulting but not for the core development.
Other client frameworks typically "solve" this by indirect revenue streams
(tie a client to a backend technology or ad-driven revenue system), or by
lowering the quality bar. I really want to avoid the latter (and also the
ad-driven revenue stream). While it would not be too hard to come up with
new features that address most of the requests, I believe we need to make
sure that
1. what we deliver is top-quality
2. what we delivered can be maintained for the next 10 years.

Quality and backward compatibility are extremely important to the success
of most Java projects. I am aware that the OpenJFX review process is
sometimes a bottleneck to get new features in, but it is really something
that we have to take very seriously.

I don't want to start the business discussion here, as this is a tech-only
list. But I want to be careful with over-promising, as the past years
taught me that maintaining the core of JavaFX on a number of supported
platforms is already a very challenging task. I am very excited to see our
achievements, having 2 major releases every year and many updates, with
different LTS versions being supported, delivering SDK's, jmods, maven
artifacts.

The work on the core-platform is typically not something that makes the
christmas wish-lists, but keep it in mind during the dark days :)

Having said that: on my wishlist is a Headless Glass platform. I'll write
more about that later in a separate post.

- Johan