On Mon, 18 Dec 2023 21:56:09 GMT, Thiago Milczarek Sayao <tsa...@openjdk.org>
wrote:

>> As an FYI, we use GTK 3.22 on our CI build machines so I wouldn't want to
>> see the build-time dependency move any higher than it currently is.
>
> The suggestion was to allow building on 16.04 - so it's easier to test. But
> it currently does not build because of code introduced on Platform
> Preferences API. On the other hand, maybe it's best to fail so we make sure
> building requires 3.20.

The native Platform Preferences code is failing for an entirely different
reason (a too-old compiler), but you raise an interesting point.

If we really can't support building a distributable binary on a system with a
too-old GTK library in a way that enables using a new feature like this, we
might prefer to "fail fast" at build time, rather than produce a binary that
doesn't support the new capability even when running on a newer system.

If we decide that is a reasonable thing to do, we might want the minimum
_build-time_ version of GTK to be higher than the minimum version we support at
_runtime_.

I think we shouldn't necessarily tie that decision to this PR. So I think the
current approach in this PR: allow it to build on an older GTK without using
the new functionality, is probably OK (although not ideal as evidenced by this
discussion).

PR Review Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jfx/pull/1305#discussion_r1430703990