On Wed, 7 Oct 2026 20:53:08 GMT, Andy Goryachev <[email protected]> wrote:

>> ok
>
> we should be using consistent formatting.  having individual styles makes it 
> more difficult to read the code.  I don't like Egyptian braces, but I would 
> not introduce them here even when they are clearly counterproductive
> 
> 
> public class Foo { // you really want to insert an empty line here, right?
>    private Something something;
>    private SomethingElse somethingElse;
> 
>    public Foo() { }
> }

I'm not sure what you're saying here Andy, I would never insert an empty line 
in that location, just like I never do that for any other block (ie. more 
consistent than only doing it for classes). 

I think the way I format things is more consistent than most:
- No empty line after any block opener (ie. `if` treated the same as `class` 
blocks)
- No placing keywords after a block closer (ie. `else` on next line, just like 
`case`)
- A block always requires a new indent level (so `case` is not aligned with 
`switch`)
- Empty blocks can be collapsed to `{}` (nice for records, empty classes, 
methods or loop statements)
- All closing parentheses are placed in the same way, no exceptions for blocks, 
function or array parentheses:

someFunction(
    a, b
);  // here and not on the previous line, just like blocks

- A line with multiple unclosed opening parenthesis, will always be matched 
with another line that has the exact same amount of closing parenthesis
- An empty line between any declaration line and non-declaration line
- Strict rectangle rule (the capability to draw a rectangle around any code 
block, and not having any code from a higher nesting level get captured by it, 
applied to blocks, functions and array parenthesis alike)
- No double indents for continuations, it's clear without wasting another indent

Anyway, if there is a coding style somewhere, then feel free to point it out. 
From my experience across the JavaFX (and JDK code base) there isn't one style 
to rule them all so I tend to adhere to the surrounding style (as sometimes 
even in one file styles significantly differ) -- if it is a new file, one can 
use their own consistent style; I generally for my own teams steer (with 
concensus) towards a compromise that code is "readable" without enforcing some 
specific style, this leaves room for some individual choices which tends to 
make everyone happy; the list of rules is therefore short (use 4 space indents, 
break off long lines, always use blocks, one statement per line and, most 
importantly, be *consistent* with whatever rules you use). The only other 
solution is to have strict rigid formatting enforced by the build, making 
everyone equally unhappy when their code is the one being butchered.

So far I thought FX leaned towards a lenient style, as long as it is readable, 
and not being too nitpicky about tiny individual style choices.

-------------

PR Review Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jfx/pull/1081#discussion_r4226455291

Reply via email to