I think i spoke too soon of my problem.
I could use my users listed in openldap for login.

i used the following om_ldap.cfg
   ldap_conn_url=ldap://myserver.net:389
   ldap_admin_dn=uid:admin,ou:people,dc:myserver,dc:net
   ldap_passwd=mypwd
   ldap_search_base=ou:people,dc:myserver,dc:net
   field_user_principal=uid
   ldap_auth_type=NONE

the problem now faced is that if a user is listed in ldap then he/she
can login even if incorrect password is used.

~prashant