Hi,

I'm fairly sure this can't be done with the current setup based on how
the basic SNMP sysinfo attributes are handled. However someone might
prove me wrong.

Currently when a new SNMP node is detected we read a number of values
from the standard mib2 structure. Name, Location, Sysobjid, Description.
This is then stored in the node table in the database and displayed in
the SNMP attributes box on the node info page.

However I want something more flexible. There are some SNMP values you
only need to read once (or infrequently) which you don't want to do
regular polling with. This could be for example to read the current
firmware revision or MAC address. The values you read may well be
different depending on what type of hardware you are talking to
(differentiated by sysobjid).

As these could be arbitary these should probably be stored in a new db
table, something like nodeid, oid, value.

These values should be displayed in the SNMP attributes box as
Name/Value pairs with the name coming from a config that specifies what
static SNMP values should be collected for what types of hardware.

Does this make sense/seem a good idea to people? Or is this a special
case of normal SNMP data collection?

--
Alex Bennee
Software Engineer, Cambridge Broadband