On Wednesday 07 September 2016 21:13:43 you wrote:
> sure
>
> if you require a more general discussion it might be best to cc
> openocd-devel, since I see quite a few people are interested on 64bit
> support.

Some is just into details of the implementation, some is about broader topics,
so I'll just Cc the devel mailing list from here on.

Let me fill you in on my current state:

I've started by rebasing your patch series up to here:
http://openocd.zylin.com/#/c/2747/4 onto the current master branch, to
incorporate the DAP related refactoring that meanwhile went into master.

Then I looked into merging changes that Pierre Kuo added in between in this
patch: http://openocd.zylin.com/#/c/2523/, which is apparently what also Peter
Griffin of Linaro used to get debugging working on the Hikey board.

However, I think that 2523 goes too far in certain places, for example by
eliminating all code that discerns between AARCH32 and AARCH64 execution state
of a PE, e.g. when reading registers from the core. I think while this patch
fixes some important aspects of AARCH64 debugging, it breaks AARCH32 debugging
in the process.

There's also the patch series from Alamy Liu, which also adds on top of your
series, but it's introducing some far ranging changes in the architecture
which I'm quite sure I won't be following.

Did you ever look closer into 2523 or the Liu patches? What do you think of
them?

On a broader scope, was there a specific technical reason why you created a
new aarch64 target instread of integrating with cortex_a ? Of course there are
some notable differences, but there is also now a lot of duplicated code.

> David

BR,
Matthias