On January 14, 2018 11:06:04 AM PST, Tomas Vanek via OpenOCD-devel
<openocd-devel@lists.sourceforge.net> wrote:
>If OpenOCD would require a password it also needs a safe channel to
>transfer it. Drop telnet and use a ssh library instead?

Randomly generate it a print it to stdout at startup? Put it in the config
file? Neither of those is vulnerable. Neither one handles GDB though. SSH
doesn’t really solve the problem, actually: it would prevent packet sniffing
(which can’t happen on localhost anyway, at least not without elevated
privileges) but you would still need either a password or a key to authenticate
the remote peer.

I was really just trying to point out how this is a big problem which may be
impractical to solve (especially the GDB remote, since the protocol is fixed).
Would it be possible to replace all transports with named pipes? They can all
work over pipes, but only stdio AFAIK, and there are too many interfaces to
handle them all that way (especially with multiple taps).

--
Christopher Head