Hi Tim,

On Freitag, 23. März 2018 22:06:22 CEST Tim Newsome wrote:
> Could I get a review on http://openocd.zylin.com/#/c/4452/, or some
> discussion on why it shouldn't be merged?
>
> The change is to let gdb know when accessing a register fails, as long as
> an OpenOCD target has decided it wants that behavior. (Eg. enabling it for
> ARM causes problems so it can't just always be enabled.) On RISC-V we want
> this behavior. I'm slowly working towards upstreaming that port, and this
> is part of that effort.

You could start by explaining why it is necessary for RISC-V. Why would gdb
even ask for a register that doesn't exist? gdb normally only knows about
registers that OpenOCD sends through an XML description that details which
registers the target supports and their format. If the RISC-V support code
provided such a message to GDB, would this patch still be needed?

Also, if this patch is genuinely useful, why do ARM targets break when it's
enabled?

BR,
Matthias

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen/Best regards,

Matthias Welwarsky
Project Engineer

SYSGO AG
Office Mainz
Am Pfaffenstein 14 / D-55270 Klein-Winternheim / Germany
Phone: +49-6136-9948-0 / Fax: +49-6136-9948-10
VoIP: SIP:m...@sysgo.com
E-mail: matthias.welwar...@sysgo.com / Web: http://www.sysgo.com

Web: https://www.sysgo.com
Blog: https://www.sysgo.com/blog
Events: https://www.sysgo.com/events
Newsletter: https://www.sysgo.com/newsletter

Handelsregister/Commercial Registry: HRB Mainz 90 HRB 8066
Vorstand/Executive Board: Etienne Butery (CEO), Kai Sablotny (COO)
Aufsichtsratsvorsitzender/Supervisory Board Chairman: Marc Darmon
USt-Id-Nr./VAT-Id-No.: DE 149062328