I tried hbreak instead of break, and it worked. I'm using the
configuration file "xmc4800-relax.cfg" which refers to "xmc4xxx.cfg",
both from OpenOCD.
How can I define the flash range correctly?

I found in "xmc4xxx.cfg" line 54:
flash bank $_FLASHNAME xmc4xxx 0x0C000000 0 0 0 $_TARGETNAME

But I don't have a clue how to fix it.

Thanks a lot!
Matthias

On 06.11.19 12:47, Antonio Borneo wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 6, 2019 at 12:16 PM Andreas Fritiofson
> <andreas.fritiof...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> On Wed, Nov 6, 2019 at 11:56 AM Matthias Stadler
>> <matthias.stad...@medineering.de> wrote:
>>> Hi Tommy,
>>>
>>> Thank you for your input. I put more informations together, hope it
>>> helps to get a better understanding of the issue.
>>>
>>> My workflow is as follows:
>>>
>>> 1) Start OpenOCD: /opt/openocd/bin/openocd -f board/xmc4800-relax.cfg -d
>>> 2) Attach GDB Debug Session: arm-none-eabi-gdb xmc-test -ex 'target
>>> remote localhost:3333'
>>> 3) Reset and Init MCU: mon reset init
>>> 4) Set Breakpoints: break main / break XMC_GPIO_GetInput
>>> 5) Run the program
>>> 6) Should hit the breakpoints, but does not at main nor at
>>> XMC_GPIO_GetInput. Same program works fine with JlinkGDB Server.
>>>
>>> Attached you find the log files from GDB output and the OpenOCD debug
>>> output.
>>>
>> According to the log, GDB specifically asks for a software breakpoint which
>> won't work in Flash. It should not do this if it's aware that the address is
>> in flash. Have you not defined a flash bank covering this range?
>>
> Matthias,
>
> to verify quickly, you can try to use "hbreak" instead of "break" in GDB.
> Or, you send the command "monitor gdb_breakpoint_override hard" before
> using "break".
> Both should work.
> Then "the right" fix is to define the flash range in the config file.
>
> Antonio

Geschäftsführer: Dr.-Ing. Maximilian Krinninger, Dr.-Ing. Stephan Nowatschin