On Fri, Oct 8, 2021 at 12:36 PM Christopher West
<cw...@thedigitaledge.co.uk> wrote:

>> That's a shame some vendors are so anti-users that they do not release
>> useful documentation and code for their tools. Guess they should be
>> boycotted especially given other much more friendly tools and vendors
>> exist.
>

> It's a shame but I'm stuck with this one as it was just in my price range and
> as it had pyocd support I thought I could easily port it.

>From the "advertisement" in their website it is supposed to be a fast
adapter (didn't dig more to find how much fast) so it could have been
interesting to have it in OpenOCD.
But the license is a blocking point. GPL-v2 code cannot be linked with
nor can load and use a library that is incompatible with GPL-v2.

Without the support from the adapter vendor, the only remaining options are:
- OpenOCD connects through TCP with a non-GPL daemon that in turn
handles the adapter. But this would kill the whole performance claimed
above. Anyway, not really an interesting option.
- reverse engineering the USB communication and write a GPL-v2 driver
without their library. I don't know the status after BREXIT, but
according to EU law interpretation one person is only allowed to RE
and document what he/she has found, not allowed to use it for writing
the code that uses these findings; but another person can write the
code based on that document.

Back to the patch you have provided. You choose to implement it
through HLA. That is not the nicer option, as it addresses Cortex-M
only and has several other limitations. It would be much more
interesting to have full JTAG and/or SWD support.

Antonio