On 11/10/2021 12:32, Tommy Murphy wrote:
> Would anybody have a link to the aforementioned mailing list discussion
> pertaining to licensing issues relating to FTDI libraries? I tried
> searching the archives but couldn't find anything. Thanks.

I vaguely remember that, but don't have the emails - I cleared out my
old mailing list archives a while back.  But I think I remember that you
had to download and install the FTDI drivers and libraries independently
from the OpenOCD Windows binaries.  They couldn't be packaged and
distributed together, because the FTDI libraries were not GPL
compatible, but users could put them together themselves.

> PE Micro seem to only provide Multilink software support for Windows?
> Seems very odd in this day and age. I'd expect at least Linux if not
> also Mac software support these days.

Some of PE Micro software is Windows only, other parts support Linux (on
x86-64, and IIRC only officially supporting a few distributions).  I've
used a PE Micro debugger with Linux quite happily along with Freescale
IDE's, where at least some of the .so libraries were from PE.  On the
other hand, their software for making image files for their stand-alone
programmers is Windows-only.

I think it would be fair to say that like many companies, they started
out Windows-only and are gradually getting better at supporting Linux.

The project linked near the start of this thread, pypemicro, contains a
Windows DLL, a MacoOS dylib, and an so file for Linux and BSD.

David