> On 13 Jul 2023, at 23:48, Tommy Murphy <tommy_mur...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> I presume that the breakpoints used to implement semihosting (e.g. 0xBEAB for
> Cortex-M7) do actually cause the target to go into debug halt for a period of
> time even if they're subsequently automatically resumed as part of the
> semihosting mechanism? And it is those periods in debug halt mode (which will
> necessarily be "long" in terms of target execution time/cycles?) that Tomas
> is referring to as being intrusive to program execution on the target?

Tomas, is this what you are referring to? Can you elaborate?

This is definitely not a problem for unit tests, the only interrupt of interest
is SysTick, and the slight inaccuracy in time keeping is perfectly acceptable.

I've been running fully semihosted tests in Eclipse debug sessions for years
(using J-Link and the SEGGER GDB server) and I never had any issues with
unexpected breakpoints, halts, 'unusable interrupts due to giant latencies',
etc.

Now I would like to run the same type of unit tests in a scriptable
environment, unattended, and I thought that perhaps OpenOCD can do it. Was I
too optimistic?

Liviu