On Fri, 1 Sep 2023 06:58:07 +0000
Tommy Murphy <tommy_mur...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> > the OpenOCD documentation doesn’t ever actually explain
> what it does.
>
> Why would the OpenOCD documentation cover what's already explained in
> the gdb documentation?
>
> *
> https://ftp.gnu.org/old-gnu/Manuals/gdb/html_chapter/gdb_5.html#SEC18

That’s a good starting point, but it doesn’t say anything about the
nitty-gritty details I was looking for.

> To see what it does in the context of a remote GDB server environment
> such as OpenOCD you can look at the GDB remote server protocol traces
> using `set remotelogfile <file>`
>
> *
> https://sourceware.org/gdb/download/onlinedocs/gdb/Remote-Configuration.html

This might be helpful! I’ll have to give it a try when I’m next on-site
with access to hardware. Nevertheless, I still think it’s worth having
this kind of thing documented. It’s not information you could conclude
just from the GDB documentation (it says virtually nothing about what
“starting the program” means for an embedded target), so given that
“run” is such a basic and common GDB command, I think it’s worth
OpenOCD calling out what it means to “run” with OpenOCD. If I discover
an answer, I’ll see if I can add it to
<https://openocd.org/doc-release/html/GDB-and-OpenOCD.html>.

I’ve used the command in the past, and my experience has generally been
that with a single-target chain it pretty much does the right thing,
but with a multi-target chain it often does something very strange and
not what I want. It would be nice IMO to nail down exactly what it
does, to avoid surprises.
--
Christopher Head