2008/12/25 Michel Catudal <michelcatu...@gmail.com>:
> I could not get my older black j-link devices to work while the newer yellow
> one works. I am curious as to what the basic difference would be between
> the two. I tested them at work and they were working just as good on windows
> as the yellow one with IAR 5.2. (I don't use windows at home)

Sorry to rehash this thread as I am interested in this topic as well.
I have both black J-link and yellow one at work. Yellow ones are mostly
of V5/V6 (and V7?) firmware. The one I have is for V6. The black one
I have is of the old V3 version. The MCU used is different as far as I know.
It seems to me that the Black one is using a Renesas MCU (M16C?).
The yellow one seems to use AT91SAM7S.

The speed difference is big. V1/2/3/4 supports 4MHz JTAG and
V5/6/7 support 12MHz JTAG.
http://www.segger.com/jlink.html

Last time I tried both with LPC-2148 and LPC-2468. The yellow one
seems to work with Openocd. The black one does not. Both works
under Windows with IAR 4.42/5.20/5.30. Both also seem to work with
the Segger Linux beta software.

There is also a new J-Link Pro with Ethernet/USB interface. It is
compatible with J-Link so I assume it will work with OpenOCD as well.
It is said that it is using AT91SAM7X256 according to some websites.
http://www.segger.com/jlinkpro.html

--
Xiaofan http://mcuee.blogspot.com