FYI:
Coldfire = 68000
Codesourcery offers precompiled GCC with Coldfire support. Maybe
Freescale can be persuaded to donate some hardware. They are losing
designs because they are currently forcing their customers to use
Codewarrior.

The Renesas controllers are another story. Turning the code read
protection on requires an NDA so OpenOCD is not likely to be able to
support code read protection on Renesas chips.

Nico Coesel