On Monday 05 October 2009, Øyvind Harboe wrote:

> In short, the following will happen:
>
> 1. The source will be held in git.
>
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/openocd/

!!! And if anyone objects to GIT, please speak up ASAP !!!

So far the only issue raised with $SUBJECT seems to be
that we need to make sure we have an HTTP-accessible
mirror.  That seems to be nearly in hand.

And the only particular issue anyone's raised with using
SourceForge is that its email sucks.  Which is OK, since
we don't need to use their email.

But as I'm sure folk have noted, there's also a "move from
Berlios to more reliable services" subtext.  Using what
SourceForge provides has sort of a leg up in that race...

> 2. Zach, David and I are managers for  the OpenOCD project at
> sourceforge.

Actually "project administrators".

> 3. There is already a mailing list set up for OpenOCD at sourceforge

Which IMO we should *NOT* be using at all.

(Let me suggest that someone create a new thread
specifically about mailing list alternatives and
what we want improved... no point in $SUBJECT going
further astray.)

> 4. The top web pages will be very slightly reworked so that web pages
> are in fact kept under git and generated by doxygen, phasing out
> wordpress.

And eventually moved to SourceForge.

** 5. The 0.3.0 release downloads will be available at SourceForge.

> Schedule:
>
> Thursday October 8. 2009 08:00 EST:
>
> 1. Berlios svn will be made read only and the svn head will be "deleted",
> leaving behind only a README w/reference to the openocd project at
> sourceforge. The entire svn history will remain available on Berlios
> indefinitely.

And I've got a patch in the works updating the source tree to
reference GIT not SVN.  I'll commit it around then.

> 2. The Berlios web page will be changed into a stub pointing
> to sourceforge.

I was not anticipating this happening so soon.  It's not at all
related to the GIT move, for example.

Note that I'm not at all opposed to moving or changing the website.
It's just that it's a different issue entirely, and should not be
tied to the GIT switchover for the repository.

> 3. the mailing list will be disabled and all openocd subscribers will
> receive an invitation to subscribe to the openocd mailing list at
> sourceforge. The sourceforge mailing list is the least sucky
> alternative for hosting mailinglists at this point.

As noted previously ... I'm not in favor of that at all.