On Sat, Aug 13, 2011 at 11:56 AM, Jie Zhang <jzhang...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 10:15 PM, Xiaofan Chen <xiaof...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> BTW, there are other problems with the Linux MinGW packages
>> in Debian/Ubuntu.
>>
>> This is one of them which does not affect C based programs
>> like OpenOCD but it will affect C++ based programs.
>> http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnu.mingw.user/36693
>>
>> Basically MinGW.org native compiler and the Cygwin
>> i686-pc-ming32 cross compiler are built with --disable-sjlj-exceptions
>> whereas many Linux MinGW cross compilers are built with
>> a default option which is --enable-sjlj-exceptions. That is the
>> case with MinGW package inside Ubuntu 11.04.
>>
> In GCC, the default is --disable-sjlj-exceptions. So I'm confused.

Maybe the word "default" is too overloaded. But anyway,
the thing is that Linux distros are not following the upstream
recommendation of MinGW.

> In Debian testing, mingw32 is configured with
> --enable-sjlj-exceptions. mingw-w64 is configured without
> --enable-sjlj-exceptions.
>
> But if we compile all code, including libraries, with one compiler, it
> should be safe.

Yes that is true.

>> On the other hand, MinGW-w64 packages inside Ubuntu
>> is also not that usable since it is quite old (even for the
>> upcoming 11.10). So I always use other versions. But Debian
>> Sid seems to be better in this aspect.
>>
> I use Debian.

That is better but I would still consider as not that good.

MinGW-w64 Sourceforge website is a mess but the personal build
of sezero is good if you want to use it under Linux (or Windows).
http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw-w64/files/Toolchains%20targetting%20Win32/Personal%20Builds/sezero_20110510/
http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw-w64/files/Toolchains%20targetting%20Win64/Personal%20Builds/sezero_20110510/

If you use Windows, then TDM64 is also good.
http://tdm-gcc.tdragon.net/download

I use mainly TDM64 under Windows and the following build under Linux,
http://code.google.com/p/mingw-w64-dgn/downloads/list

--
Xiaofan