I'm hardly an expert on github, but some features include source code repository and version control (using git, as you might imagine), a wiki for documentation, issue tracking tools, and project management tools (I haven't used the last two). You can see what I did for my attempt at OpenOCD Flash memory driver documentation and tutorial here:
https://github.com/doctek/COOCDFlash/wiki

One thing lacking (and perhaps a deal-breaker) is a forum for the project. This would need to be hosted elsewhere.