Because others in the team started to change things i introduced in fsl
last week, here are some background issues. Currently, only two things
were really wrong but everything else should be discussed a little bit
more before committing wild.

Bug #1: i forgot that @s_usr@ and alike being used in the rc files
requires manual substitution by invoking "shtool".

Bug #2: the rc.* files did log rotation in a subdirectory namely
.../var/<package>/log while the fsl.* files omitted the /log
subdirectory. I used postfix to create my template and this package uses
/log but other packages do not.

Anything else, especially the question of which user should be used to
run the rotation job, filenames and pathes to be used, vendor rotation
vs. OpenPKG template rotation etc. should be discussed before committing

My fsl work last week had the goal of unifying fsl usage across all
packages. While i was working on it i created templates with the
following goals:

- create a documentation how to integrate fsl in existing and future
  packages.

- create templates for usage which are unified enough to be checked by
  speclint.pl

- allow the creation of an fsllint.pl and rclint.pl (at least regarding
  fsl log file rotation)

- bug#1 made me think about creating a OpenPKG macro for substitution of
  the @X_usr@ strings to make spec files less error prone.

- bug#2 made me think we need to specify where OpenPKG packages log to.

- also, there were issues regarding prolog and epilog when rotating
  logs. I thougt i did a good job at simplyfing sendmail but ralf backed
  out my changes with no full explanation. The openssh package seems to
  use a similar logic.

- i had an idea regarding l2 to add a "jitter" option to the l2_ch_file
  which would open a file before every write and close it immediately
  after. This could ease epilog issues normally required after rotating
  the log. Of course, at the price of performance, but it's an option,
  not a requirement. I think we could finish such a minor change for
  inclusion into the OpenPKG v1.3 release.

- i had an idea regarding fsl to add an extra "library" which overrides
  the "fsl" string fallback when an application calls syslog(3) with no
  prior use of openlog(3). Currently, such applications would either log
  to the "fsl" default or need to patched to include an openlog(3). The
  former is nonsense and he latter is against the fsl concept of being a
  "link time solution". Again, i think we could finish such a minor
  change for inclusion into the OpenPKG v1.3 release.

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Development Team, Operations Northern Europe, Cable & Wireless