On Mon, Jun 30, 2003, Thomas Lotterer wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 30, 2003, Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Jun 29, 2003, Thomas Lotterer wrote:
> >
> > > [...]
> > > - i had an idea regarding l2 to add a "jitter" option to the l2_ch_file
> > >   which would open a file before every write and close it immediately
> > >   after. This could ease epilog issues normally required after rotating
> > >   the log. Of course, at the price of performance, but it's an option,
> > >   not a requirement. I think we could finish such a minor change for
> > >   inclusion into the OpenPKG v1.3 release.
> >
> > Yes, sounds good. Feel free to implement this in OSSP l2.
> >
> OK

Done, see
http://cvs.ossp.org/filediff?f=ossp-pkg/fsl/ChangeLog&v1=1.18&v2=1.19
http://cvs.ossp.org/chngview?cn=3468
which led to OSSP/OpenPKG
- l2-0.9.2-20030630
- fsl-1.2.0-20030630

Please be aware of another change, the introduction of the "trunc"
option with support for the now obsolete "append" option. This means
that the construct "append=1" that OpenPKG uses heavily still works but
it should be replaced by "trunc=0" or, even better, removed entirely
because the default operation changed from truncating to appending.

In other words, fsl-1.2.0 is compatible to fsl-1.1.0 as long as the
choice of truncating or appending is explicit which is true for OpenPKG
v1.1 and v1.2, at least regarding the shipping default configuration.

However, if neither "append" nor "trunc" (the latter available only in
fsl-1.2.0) is used, the compatiblity is broken because the default
changed from truncating in fsl-1.1.0 to appending in fsl-1.2.0. This
might be an issue for manually modified fsl configurations in OpenPKG.

The worst thing that can happen is that someone removed the "append"
option to use the truncating default in fsl-1.1.0. Then he upgrades to
fsl-1.2.0 and the logs will  no longer truncated. No data is lost but
the logs might fill up the filesystem unless they are truncated or
rotated using external logic.

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Development Team, Operations Northern Europe, Cable & Wireless