On Mon, Jun 30, 2003, Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 29, 2003, Thomas Lotterer wrote:
>
> > [...]
> > - also, there were issues regarding prolog and epilog when rotating
> >   logs. I thougt i did a good job at simplyfing sendmail but ralf backed
> >   out my changes with no full explanation. The openssh package seems to
> >   use a similar logic.
> > [...]
>
> In rc.sendmail your direct usage of "@l_prefix@/etc/rc sendmail
> restart" instead of the existing sendmail_signal and sendmail_start
> functions I found a little bit strange. Yes, your version is a lot more
> straight-forward, but it introduced the first time that an rc script
> calls rc for itself. [...]
proftpd and teapop did it before, see
http://cvs.openpkg.org/filediff?f=openpkg-src/proftpd/rc.proftpd&v1=1.3&v2=1.4
http://cvs.openpkg.org/chngview?cn=5515
same author ;-)

> > - i had an idea regarding l2 to add a "jitter" option to the l2_ch_file
> >   which would open a file before every write and close it immediately
> >   after. This could ease epilog issues normally required after rotating
> >   the log. Of course, at the price of performance, but it's an option,
> >   not a requirement. I think we could finish such a minor change for
> >   inclusion into the OpenPKG v1.3 release.
>
> Yes, sounds good. Feel free to implement this in OSSP l2.

OK

> > - i had an idea regarding fsl to add an extra "library" which overrides
> >   the "fsl" string fallback when an application calls syslog(3) with no
> >   prior use of openlog(3). Currently, such applications would either log
> >   to the "fsl" default or need to patched to include an openlog(3). The
> >   former is nonsense and he latter is against the fsl concept of being a
> >   "link time solution". Again, i think we could finish such a minor
> >   change for inclusion into the OpenPKG v1.3 release.
>
> Can you explain in more detail how this extra library technically works?
> Does it just contain the same symbol the libfsl.a contains, again?

Very simple: the extra "library" just has the definition of a single
symbol in it no actual code, the *full* source code looks like

    char *identification = "fsl";

This "library" (note the quotes) is per-packet and must be created on
the fly from within the %build section of affected spec files. The
*full* build process will looke like

    cc -c -o fslid.o fslid.c
    ar rc libfslid.a fslid.o

and it could even become a macro. The already existing %{l_fsl_ldflags}
macro must be modified to return "-lfsl -lfslid". That's nearly all we
have to do with the minor little issue what happens when we do not need
this "library". Creating a libfsliddefault.a in the fsl package and let
the %[l_fsl_ldflags} macro return either "-lfsl -lfsliddefault" or
"-lfsl -lfslid" could be a solution.

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Development Team, Operations Northern Europe, Cable & Wireless