On Sat, Jul 19, 2003 at 11:54:10AM +0200, Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 19, 2003, Matthias Kurz wrote:
>
> > > Would patches that implement (as options, turned off by default) shared
> > > libraries and relocation be acceptable?
> > >
> > > I'm in a situation that I need those features, but dread having to fork
> > > a set of package spec files etc. for my own use.
> >
> > I think, the shared library "problem" needs to be addressed some day,
> > anyway. What are there for known problems ? I think uncontrolled
> > dependencies (automatically picked up shared libs) are the greatest
> > problem, aren't they ?
>
> Some of the reasons are mentioned in the FAQ AFAIK.

Autsch.

> > Instead of patching all the many spec-Files that have "disable-shared"
> > set etc., wouldn't it be possible to introduce a global setting (with
> > a default of "no").
>
> Yes, I plan for a with_shared option which all packages can support.

I hope not in a way that one has to specify "-Dwith_shared=yes" for
each and every package.

> The question which is still unanswered is _HOW_ the packages should
> support this. At least without executable wrappers this option at
> least disallows multiple OpenPKG instances on the same machine.

That was a little bit surprising as every platform i have to cope with
knows something like "rpath". Actually they all use ELF...
And from my experience there are only few problems with this, these
days. Alas more than zero.

--
Matthias Kurz; Fuldastr. 3; D-28199 Bremen; VOICE +49 421 53 600 47
   >> Im prämotorischen Cortex kann jeder ein Held sein. (bdw) <<
Developer Communication List                   [EMAIL PROTECTED]