On Sat, Jul 19, 2003, Matthias Kurz wrote:

> [...]
> > > Instead of patching all the many spec-Files that have "disable-shared"
> > > set etc., wouldn't it be possible to introduce a global setting (with
> > > a default of "no").
> >
> > Yes, I plan for a with_shared option which all packages can support.
>
> I hope not in a way that one has to specify "-Dwith_shared=yes" for
> each and every package.

You don't have to, just add "%with_shared yes" to your ~/.rpmmacros file
and you'll be done. And with "openpkg-tool"'s build command you also
have to specificy it just once: for building of all packages and then
it's sticky. I think it has to be an "%option" and not something else
special, because currently all those things are "%option"s in OpenPKG...

> > The question which is still unanswered is _HOW_ the packages should
> > support this. At least without executable wrappers this option at
> > least disallows multiple OpenPKG instances on the same machine.
>
> That was a little bit surprising as every platform i have to cope with
> knows something like "rpath". Actually they all use ELF...
> And from my experience there are only few problems with this, these
> days. Alas more than zero.

Yes, exactly: the with_shared=yes certainly cannot be a portable
solution in general, but for all important platforms which OpenPKG
officially supports, it can be provided in a portable enough way.

                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                                       www.engelschall.com

Developer Communication List                   [EMAIL PROTECTED]