On Tue, Sep 13, 2005, Birger Krägelin wrote:
>> So, the main argument against shared libraries is the support
>> of multiple instances, currently.
>
>What's the argument against static linking?
>Memory shouldn't be a problem anymore...

I think that there are some programs that require static linking,
notably things like unixodbc and anything that wants to use the
libperl dynamic linking to embed perl support in an application.

I seem to remember fighing with some programs as well that are very hard to
convince not to use dynamic linking, thus picking up things like a vendor's
Berkeley database routines instead of the OpenPKG static libraries.

Bill

``Anyone who thinks Microsoft never does anything truly innovative isn't
paying attention to the part of the company that pushes the state of
its art: Microsoft's legal department.''
   --Ed Foster, InfoWorld Gripe Line columnist
Developer Communication List                   openpkg-dev@openpkg.org