Am Donnerstag 15 September 2005 08:01 schrieb Michael van Elst:

Hi Michael,

> On Thu, Sep 15, 2005 at 03:04:31AM +0200, Martin Konold wrote:
> > My personal main issue with the static linking is that in case I am
> > developing a package for OpenPKG I have a _very_ hard time to make
> > _certain_ that the correct libraries get picked up during compile time.
>
> With dynamic linking you have the same problem and additionally you
> have it when you run the program.

Yes, but I can easily detect the problem and therefor deal with bug reports
much better. Actually to me the static linking is the biggest obstacle to
OpenPKG.

The problematic debugging with static linking has lead to me having spent many
useless hours and to users loosing data. (Linking to wrong version of
libdb :-() and no reliable way for to detect the problem reliably.

Regards,
-- martin

--
http://www.erfrakon.com/