On Wed, Sep 04, 2002, Miles Egan wrote:

> So, I've been considering how I would deploy openpkg and I'm unsure on one
> procedural point.
>
> I'm sure we'll have to make a few patches and changes to the 1.1.0 packages as
> we start to use openpkg more extensively.  What's the recommended policy for
> making and tracking these kinds of changes?  What release numbering scheme do
> you suggest?  I'm guessing we wouldn't want to start numbering our own releases
> 1.1.x, right?  Would we then start using date stamped release numbers?
>
> Put more simply, if we have to maintain our own temporary sub-forks of some
> packages how could we do this cleanly?

For tracking your own changes, the best way is to use Anonymous-CVS to
checkout the spec files (openpkg-src module in our CVS) and keep your
changes uncomitted. This way you can maintain your changeset easily
by just performing a "cvs update" to merge in our changes into your
version.

We use a strict numbering scheme, explained on the website under Release
Engineering. For your own special local RPMs you can use whatever you
want. Sure, you usually want to distinguish between our versions and
yours. Because you are first certainly based on OpenPKG-CURRENT and not
a release version (you certainly want our latest adjustments in -CURRENT
to make your own life easier in porting, else you would have to keep
very very large changeset yourself), the "release" from our side is
YYYYMMDD.

So I recommend you to just attach an extension and use something like
YYYYMMDD-pixar, so your RPMs would read foo-1.2-20020904-pixar.src.rpm.
But feel free to do whatever you want. But be warned in advance: Using a
different release name in your RPMs will cause you a CVS merge conflict
on _EVERY_ upgrade we perform (because on every upgrade we increase the
release). So perhaps for convinience reasons you don't want to use a
different release version at all ;)

                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                                       www.engelschall.com