On Fri, Jun 25, 2004 at 08:51:45AM -0300, Alexander Belck wrote:

Hi,

> How can I avaliate the amount of memory efectivly used ?
> I think that frequenly apache processes are just waiting for a connection and
> will hope that in this situation the data reserved for all modules are relativly
> small. They should only grow when some module is realy being used by an
> webapplication and released again when the site/page is leaved.

The memory is allocated once it is used and stays there until the
apache process ends. You can configure the number of queries a
single apache process should answer before it terminates. By default
that is a few ten thousand requests.

> > If your modular apache is about 300K then it doesn't load or use
> > all the modules. So why build them into the static binary ?
>
> I just looked at the size of /usr/sbin/httpd, I do not know how to check the
> efective memmory used when running, where the necessary modules will be loaded
> and obviosly much more ram will be used from the system.

This however is the important number. Check with 'ps' or 'top'.

> Most modules are enabled, and also most time they are not used, but they are
> avaible if someone whants to use them. As an ISP I could not say that I support
> PHP, but do not offer lots of functions availble thru PHP.

As an ISP you should not run a single Apache with mod_php for more than
one customer. PHP safe mode is a myth :-)

Greetings,
--
                                Michael van Elst
Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]