On Tue, Apr 19, 2005, Etienne-Hugues Fortin wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've installed openpkg on a few servers up to now and for the first time,
> I decided to investigate why I'm unable to fetch RPM directly from the ftp
> url.  After installing the base openpkg package as well as openpkg-tools,
> I've tried to do operation as:
>
> /openpkg/bin/openpkg build -Ua | sh -

This can mess up things, when something goes wrong. It is better to save
the output of "openpkg build" to a file. When something breaks, correct
the problem, edit the script and remove everything in front of the package
that failed to build. Then restart, using the edited script, instead of
doing another "openpkg build".
It would probably be a good idea, when "openpkg build" would do some
"bookkeeping", e.g. create and "manage" a file ~/.openpkg/build.dirty with
the names of all packages that need a rebuild. Or when there would be
an option that would let "openpkg build" look at the install dates in
some way. E.g. rebuild openssh when openssl has a newer build/install date.
Hmmm, are the build dates of the (binary) packages available from the rpm
database ? It would be much better, when one could find out with what
versions of the required packages a particular package was built. Is this
possible ?

I also recommend to use -Uua or to remove everything from $prefix/RPM/PKG
before running "openpkg build".
It would be nice to have an option that removes all old versions of a
package from $prefix/RPM/PKG, when a new build succeeded.

To the proxies. When one specifies a ftp proxy, a "real" ftp proxy is
expected. "ftp over http proxy" does not work. Is there a way to access
the OpenPKG packages using http instead of ftp ? It is probably better to
mirror the openpkg stuff locally, anyway.

   (mk)

--
Matthias Kurz; Fuldastr. 3; D-28199 Bremen; VOICE +49 421 53 600 47