On Wed, Apr 20, 2005, Michael van Elst wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 20, 2005 at 01:40:22PM +0200, Matthias Kurz wrote:
[...]
> > It would be nice to have an option that removes all old versions of a
> > package from $prefix/RPM/PKG, when a new build succeeded.
>
> Maybe, but what is 'an old version of a package' ? I would consider
> to simply delete everything from RPM/PKG.

All packages with the same %name are the same package. All packages
except the one with the newest build date are old packages.
Removing everything from RPM/PKG is not very practical, because one
needs all (binary) packages e.g. when a new machine is installed or
when machines with older software than the build machine are upgraded.
And rebuilding everything all the time is not very elegant and quite
time-consuming.
But. To solve the problem of duplicate packages in the "build" part
probably adds too much complexity in the wrong place. I think it would
be better (easier ?) to put this functionality in the "index" part. E.g.
an option -d for "delete older versions of a package".

   (mk)

--
Matthias Kurz; Fuldastr. 3; D-28199 Bremen; VOICE +49 421 53 600 47