I thought I was having issues with Postfix but it turns out that DB is the problem. I've tried recompiling with the --define="with_compat yes" switch but it doesn't help. Here is output from 'db_stat -d /openpkg/etc/postfix/aliases.db':

(on solaris 9)
61561   Hash magic number
8       Hash version number
Big-endian      Byte order
        Flags
8192    Underlying database page size
0       Specified fill factor
51      Number of keys in the database
51      Number of data items in the database
2       Number of hash buckets
14928   Number of bytes free on bucket pages (8% ff)
0       Number of overflow pages
0       Number of bytes free in overflow pages (0% ff)
0       Number of bucket overflow pages
0       Number of bytes free in bucket overflow pages (0% ff)
0       Number of duplicate pages
0       Number of bytes free in duplicate pages (0% ff)
0       Number of pages on the free list

(on hpux 11.00/32)
db_stat: __db_tas_mutex_init: mutex not appropriately aligned
db_stat: PANIC: Invalid argument
db_stat: PANIC: DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery
db_stat: DB_ENV->open: DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery

This is causing both postfix & cfengine to fail on startup.