Doug Summers wrote:

I installed Postfix (latest from OpenPKG 2.4 updates) on a HPUX 11.00 box and copied over the main.cf from a working RHEL 3.0 machine. I'm running into problems creating any of the .db files required to get things started - aliases.db, access.db, virtual.db. For some reason postmap thinks I'm using dbm instead of hash:

(from postmap -v aliases)
postmap: dict_eval: const  mail
postmap: dict_eval: const  ipv4
postmap: name_mask: ipv4
postmap: dict_eval: const  xxx
postmap: dict_eval: const  xxx
postmap: dict_eval: const  Postfix
postmap: dict_eval: const  postfix
postmap: dict_eval: const  opkg
postmap: dict_eval: const  opkg-r
postmap: dict_eval: const
postmap: dict_eval: const  xxx
postmap: dict_eval: const  xxx
postmap: dict_eval: const  /openpkg/libexec/postfix
postmap: dict_eval: const  /openpkg/sbin
postmap: dict_eval: const  /openpkg/var/postfix
postmap: dict_eval: const  pid
postmap: dict_eval: const  127.0.0.1
postmap: dict_eval: const
postmap: dict_eval: const  double-bounce
postmap: dict_eval: const  opkg-n
postmap: dict_eval: const  hash:/openpkg/etc/postfix/aliases
postmap: dict_eval: const  20050428
postmap: dict_eval: const  2.2.3
postmap: dict_eval: const  dbm >>> why???
 >>> cut <<<

On the RHEL box this returns hash, as expected.

 >>> cut <<<
Well, I got past this by adding "default_database_type = hash" to main.cf. Now I can't create/update any of the .db files in /openpkg/etc/postfix - all ending like this:

>>> snip <<<

Postfix was fine; db wasn't compiling correctly. I did need to rebuild Postfix after fixing db.