Doug Summers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> >> Steps taken:

> >> - build and install OpenPKG libiconv rpm
> >> - uninstall OpenPKG gcc (as it stops working once libiconv is installed)
> >> - build OpenPKG gcc using the gcc that comes from the OpenPKG rpm
> >> (the one that's built with the IBM provided gcc rpm)
>
>  >>> snip <<<
>
> Just noticed this...Are you building libiconv THEN gcc? Try building
> libiconv first using IBM's rpm version of gcc and let me know what
> happens.

No. I did the following:
- rebuilt OpenPKG gcc (gcc-3.4.4-20050724.src.rpm)
- installed OpenPKG gcc
- rebuilt libiconv (libiconv-1.9.2-2.4.0) [which uses the OpenPKG gcc]
- uninstalled OpenPKG gcc
- try rebuild of OpenPKG gcc using gcc from OpenPKG RPM. [this fails]

I'm now thinking of removing the SYSTEM libiconv.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:/home/sysadmin>lslpp -w /usr/lib/libiconv.a
  File                                        Fileset               Type
  /usr/lib/libiconv.a                         bos.rte.iconv         File

However many IBM packages require this package so it does not look
possible.

I guess I need to look at if it is possible for gcc to specify a
specific path where to look BEFORE looking in the system library
paths. That would probably solve the problem, but I am not sure if
that is actually possible.

I need to investigate further.

> PS - I didn't get a chance to try this on AIX 5.1 as I had already
> built way too many packages to start over, but 5.3 does fail. To tell
> you the truth I'm not sure if I uninstalled OpenPKG's gcc before or
> after I build the new one linked to libiconv.

The build order mentioned on the wiki is a good place to start, even
if it is not correct now. That's why knowing for sure the steps to
take will ensure that others don't have to go through all this pain.

Simon