Michael van Elst <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> On Sun, Sep 04, 2005 at 09:47:48AM +0200, Simon J Mudd wrote:
>
> > 1. Install openpkg
> > 2. install openpkg-tools dependencies (make, gcc, perl)
> > 3. install openpkg-tools
>
> One interesting part of the first openpkg-tool (which only consisted of
> the build and index scripts) was that it would search for a perl
> installation. Since many platforms already provide some version of perl,
> this simplified bootstrapping.

I think make and gcc is required to build perl, thus IFF it were
possible to build/install the openpkg-tools using the system perl
openpkg-tools would not have any dependencies and could be used
straightaway. ie. the only real dependency is that perl exists.

If the system perl is of a high enough version a nice touch might be a
build option:

openpkg_tools::with_system_perl = no (default option)

Which we can override if necessary.

Simon