On Tue, Sep 06, 2005, hms wrote:

> for those interested in - I did a setup of a new instance of
> openpkg/openldap on a completely other machine - same OS (FreeBSD 5.4),
> same bootstrap-version, same openldap-version.
> The effect es completely the same - replica log permanently increases
> with needless data in it.

So, well, IMHO you have just two options:

1. The systematic/quantity approach

   You try out the involved software versions on different platforms,
   then on the same platform with different software versions, etc.
   This is time consuming but usually allows you to systematically
   decrease the problem sources until you find the piece which causes
   the problem. I especially recommend to slightly vary the OpenLDAP
   versions by downgrading them step by step to older versions.

2. The debugging/quality approach

   You build everything as usual except OpenLDAP. OpenLDAP you build
   with debugging symbols (by hacking CFLAGS to contain "-g" and
   by removing the "strip" and "install -s" stuff). You also keep
   the unpacked sources of the OpenPKG "openldap" package (as the
   "gdb" later needs to find them to inspect the sources). Then you
   start OpenLDAP and try to debug the slapd process, usually by
   break-pointing the replica log writing routines (which before you
   determined in the source).

Any other solution to really fix your problem I do not see in such a
situations. As you are skilled enough, Herbert, I expect you to choose
approach (1) just for a quick test with an older OpenLDAP version and if
this still fails to jump directly into (2) in order to not waste your
expensive time any longer.

PS: Have I already mentioned that OpenLDAP for me becomes more and more
    a good candidate for the "most favorite package", directly following
    the all-dancing-all-singing-and-always-causing-trouble SASL? ;-)
    And don't forget to ask Thomas L. about his nice experiences from
    last year where he had an OpenLDAP installation which constantly was
    segfaulting on a Solaris 9 box...

                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                                       www.engelschall.com