Am Donnerstag, 12. Januar 2006 17:29 schrieb Ralf S. Engelschall:
> On Thu, Jan 12, 2006, Bernhard Reiter wrote:

> > > Hmmm... I see your point and from a paranoid security point of view the
> > > file should be not world-readable.
> >
> > We found out, because accidently some Kolab Server were logging passwords
> > which made it a real world critical problem.
> > [...]
>
> Sure, logged passwords are a critical issue, but, to be honest, this is
> a security problem of the application (passwords should be never logged
> anywhere at all) and not caused by the fact that the receiving logfile
> is world-readable.

Of course, we fixed it in the application, so this is not an issue anymore.
I only gave it as example that if the logfile would not have been world
readable, the consequences of this bug would have been as bad.

> Nevertheless we still have the general question what
> about world-readable logfiles at all...

Also my example shows that different logfiles have different dangers,
a summary log is not as important or a log from an application that never
sees important user credentials.

Bernhard