On Fri, Mar 24, 2006, bak wrote:
>I would love, LOVE to see this happen so that I can both centralize
>builds and make certain that I get some packages always built with the
>same options, grab things from CURRENT when necessary, etc.

The way we handle it here is that we mirror the OpenPKG site
locally using rsync into /mirrors/ftp.openpkg.org/..., and have
another directory, /private/ftp.openpkg.org, where we keep hard
links to the /mirrors directory for packages we use untouched,
modified versions of official packages, and packages we've
developed internally.

Our nightly mirror update script first rsync's the directories
from the OpenPKG.org site to the appropriate directories here,
then hard links new *.src.rpm packages into the private directory,
exluding ones that we've modified locally.

Running the following command in any of the private directories
(e.g. release/2.5/SRC), then builds local files suitable for use
with the ``openpkg build'' command:

openpkg index -C cache.db -o 00INDEX.rdf.bz2 -c -i .

We have one user account (the %{l_musr} account) set up with
their ~/.openpkg/build file with the options set for each
package.  The ``openpkg build'' command uses this file to
generate the appropriate ``--define'' options to build each
package.

This doesn't answer the question on how one would use the
``openpkg build'' command to update a system from a binary
repository which is something that would be very useful when
maintaining ``appliance'' type servers that have identical
hardware.

Bill

``It wasn't raining when Noah built the ark.''