On Sun, Jun 04, 2006, Robert Allerstorfer wrote:

> I noticed that the last version of OpenPKG providing binaries for
> ix86-rhel3 is 2.4 (distributed in
> ftp://ftp.openpkg.org/release/2.4/BIN/ix86-rhel3 - for registered
> users only). I am new to OpenPKG and want to try it out on a
> ix86-rhel3 production server. Thus, I think it should be wise to begin
> with the latest official version which is currently 2.5. However,
> there is no more ix86-rhel3 directory in
> ftp://ftp.openpkg.org/release/2.5/BIN/ (it has been replaced by
> ix86-rhel4).
>
> Would it be best to get started on RHEL3 to fetch
> ftp://ftp.openpkg.org/release/2.5/UPD/openpkg-2.5.2-2.5.2.src.sh
> and do a
> 'sh openpkg-2.5.2-2.5.2.src.sh --prefix=/openpkg --user=openpkg
> --group=openpkg'?

Yes, exactly. The provided binaries are for bootstrapping (in case
no build environment is available at all) and emergency (you have
to recreate an instance at 3am ;-) situations only. For all other
situations stick with the source RPMs. OpenPKG's focus is on those
anyway.

> Will the further steps mentioned at
> http://www.openpkg.org/documentation/tutorial/ still work on RHEL3?

Yes, I do not see a problem here. Sure, OpenPKG 2.5 was not tested under
RHEL3 anymore, but assuming that the contained software is still working
under RHEL3 the above procedure will work, too.

> Assuming I have successfully executed all 3 steps listed in the
> "Bootstrap From Source" section of that tutorial, can I completely
> uninstall OpenPKG, including removal of the new users and crontabs, by
> doing a
> '/openpkg/bin/openpkg rpm -e openpkg'
> (just in case there is a reason for that)?

Yes, of course! OpenPKG is 100% non-intrusive to the underlying OS. It
has just six small connection points (file /etc/openpkg, 3 lines in
/etc/passwd, 3 lines in /etc/group, a few lines in the root crontab, a
run-command script and the filesystem top-level directory). It does not
touch anything else in your OS and those connections points are removed
under "/openpkg/bin/openpkg rpm -e openpkg" again, too.

> Thanks for clearing things up before I may risk something I am not yet
> aware.

It's our fault. Sorry if the documentation is not clear enough at those
points. I've added a hint box to the tutorial and also a point (7) how
one can get rid of the OpenPKG instance again.

                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                                       www.engelschall.com