Michael van Elst <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> On Sat, Jul 01, 2006 at 06:54:38PM +0200, Simon J Mudd wrote:
>
> > # now upgrade the whole OpenPKG instance, in correct
> > # dependency order and by keeping all chosen build-time options.
> > # $prefix/bin/openpkg build -ZaKB | sh
> > FATAL: errors occured while building:
> > pine-4.64L-2.20060622: pine searches a frood called 'MTA'
>
> The man page reads:
> -Z  openpkg build ignores all installed packages, the script will
>     rebuild all selected packages from scratch.  Note that this doesn't
>       work together with the -a option.
>
> I guess that's -zaKB then.
>
> The build tool doesn't guess what your preferred MTA is because
> the -z option tells it to forget about installed packages and
> there are multiple choices.
>
> You have to give it a hint with -Hpostfix.
>
> N.B. sendmail-8.13.5-2.5.1.src.rpm got lost from the UPD directory.

Maybe but Ralf's upgrade instructions said:

--- snip ---
# upgrade to new "openpkg-tools" (very important!)
$ $prefix/bin/openpkg rpm -e openpkg-tools
$ $prefix/bin/openpkg build openpkg-tools | sh

# now upgrade the whole OpenPKG instance, in correct
# dependency order and by keeping all chosen build-time options.
$ $prefix/bin/openpkg build -ZaKB | sh
--- snip ---

and Thomas Lotterer's was basically the same:

--- snip ---
We added a "Recommended Upgrade procedure from any OpenPKG-2.x-RELEASE" section
today which clearly demonstrates the usability improvements we did recently:
- (simulated) "openpkg build" available immediately after bootstrap
- ability to detect and configure update branch ("openpkg release")
- registry client included ("openpkg register")
- "openpkg build" now supports -Za (rebuild from Zero, all packages)
- "openpkg build" -B option to create run-time tests to do/skip installs

Quick and simplified instructions for Upgrades:
$ openpkg rpm --rebuild openpkg-2.20060622-2.20060622.src.rpm
$ openpkg rpm -Uvh openpkg-2.20060622-2.20060622.*-*-*.rpm
$ openpkg rpm -e openpkg-tools openpkg-registry
$ openpkg register --mode=post [EMAIL PROTECTED]
$ openpkg build openpkg-tools | sh
$ openpkg build -ZaKB | sh
--- snip ---

It looks like these instructions don't work as expected.

This mail really was a "heads up" that perhaps the instructions were
not correct.  I tried using -z to see if that would help but it gives
the same error.

Regarding the MTA issue it might be nice if there were a system-mta
package which does nothing more than provide symbolic links from
$prefix/sbin/sendmail to the system equivalent.  I prefer to use my
own Postfix RPM packages and I can not remove the OpenPKG Postfix
MTA. Perhaps others also want to use a custom or system MTA and
forcing an install of one that is not needed is a bit of a pain.

If the system-mta fixes the RPM dependencies and the rpm -qi output
shows that you need to provide a non-OpenPKG equivalent that should be
sufficient.  Finding the correct path to the system sendmail binary
(which is probably the only system file required) should not be too
difficult. As most MTAs provide sendmail compatibility as least for
the sendmail binary this should not cause any problems.  Also on all
UNIX OSes the PATH to sendmail is quite clearly defined.

I wonder if it would be worth writing an package to support this
"functionality".

Simon